Spend some time considering how you are going to pack your possessions. Books for example are easy to pack, but very heavy, valuables need careful wrapping and take time, and some of your furniture will need to be dismantled prior to your move.
- Packing always takes the longest, so start early since cause you might find a lot of old memories when you locate old photos to reminisce about, or that the bed needs to be dismantled to get it downstairs.
- Start at the top of the house and then move downwards. If you have a loft or attic this would be a good place to start.
- Always pack heavier items in smaller boxes, since it will make it easier to carry them. Also keep the weight of your boxes to a minimum to avoid any possible injuries to yourself or even your valuables when being transported.
- Pack one room at a time, clearly labelling each box with details of its contents and room that it belongs to. Clearly label boxes that have breakables or fragile content so that the removal company is aware and can secure when packing.
- Keep all boxes for each room together – will save time when unpacking.
- Unpack all drawers and movable cupboards of valuables, especially jewellery and fragile items such as perfumes etc. Pack heavier items on the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Wrap items individually and pack in a box that has been layered with several layers of newspaper. All breakables should be wrapped in bubble wrap. Pillows, blankets and sheets are also useful for wrapping valuables and protecting furniture prone to dents and scratches.
- Pack all your important documents together, such as ID, birth and marriage certificates,
- and keep these in a separate and safe place.
- Check your garage thoroughly and ensure that everything is accounted for, packed away neatly and listed separately, to avoid any last minute late surprises on the day of moving.
- Always arrange for young children and pets to be cared for on packing, loading and delivery days.
We all have a few fragile, expensive or sentimental items that sometimes need preferential treatment, so we can assist in securing these goods as best as possible, to ensure they travel a little more safely.